Tuesday, October 16, 2007

October 2007 Maintence

Virginia's extension service recommends a fall program for lawn maintenance they call SOD. SOD stands for September, October, December. Basically the idea is to fertilize three times during the fall to promote root growth during the dormant winter months. They recommend a 5-10-10 fertilizer. Having tried all kinds of fertilizers through the years, I've concluded that there really is a difference. While Scott's is more expensive, it works. Maybe Scotts has brainwashed me with their advertising, emails etc. I think I'm almost a believer. I may also use Lesco products believing that they too are "professional" grade.

I used a Scotts for new lawn product when I planted Scotts grass seed in September. Boy, things are looking up. Lots of new grass. Now, If I can just keep things moving in the current direction, the lawn will recover from the killing drought we've had this year.

Today, I've taken the second step in SOD. After mowing, I applied Scotts turf builder. The irrigation system is still running but only once a day in the early morning.

No comments: